And now for something completely different! Not a neat and innovative website but an actual, real product…something you can touch…well, not so much ‘touch’ as smell. My DNA fragrance is a new company which offers individualized perfume based on your own individual DNA. Each fragrance is a one of a kind product which My DNA creates afterÂ youÂ submit a swab of your saliva. My DNA then uses a patented and revolutionary new process to create yourÂ individual fragrance which arrives in a clinically approved 4oz. aluminum bottle with a fine midst sprayer and if you want to do it properly, create your own bottle too.Â As My DNA puts it, it’s not self centered, it’s self scented!
And yes, I know the swab sounds kind ofÂ a gross way ofÂ giving My DNA your DNA but you only do it once and it’s alot more pleasantÂ than some of the alternative ways of giving up your DNA.
- A one time swab kit and lab fee: $99
- Your own 4oz bottle for women: $89
- Your own 4oz bottle for men: $59
Some Core Functionality:
- One time swab process to give your DNA via a kit my DNA send then just re-order
- Patented fragrance development
Why smell like a guy who’s played polo all day?Â Why smell like a suit designer? Wouldn’t it be better to have a fragrance that is in tune with your own smell…sort of like buying white wine to go with the fish? I’m not sure that metaphor actually works but as regular fragrances are created without ‘you’ in mind then how can they compliment your personal fragrance notes? Alright, that’s enough…my real point is this is different and believe or not, my belief is that there are enough people out there who will make a concept like this work and help create a sustainable profitable business.
- The website needs to be significantly improved. The design is fine but not in keeping with the potential strength of where this brand needs to position itself.Â It looks like a website created by a one week contractor. This takes away from the ‘Selling a Dream’ approach and brand that will translate into real and significant revenue. And guys, please use the whole page and pretty please take off the ‘Disney’esk’ sparkles that appear when you move to aÂ navigation button.
- The price point is a lot less than I expected.Â This is NOT a business where you gain traction through a lower price point and increase your prices later.Â Increase your prices now!Â Double your prices and you should see an increase in volume.
- In the website descriptor at the top of the browser it says ‘Discount Perfume, Discount cologne’…no, No, NO!Â People don’t spend money on a unique and exclusive fragrance if they’re told it’s discount.Â Make it super exclusive…better yet, get some photos at some exhibitions with celebs. Seriously – avoid discount and double your prices.
- Allow website users to refer others to your site – you’ll be glad you did.
- DOUBLE YOUR PRICE!
- The only real worry I have is ‘is this real?’ Will a fragrance be unique because of my DNA or just unique because it get’s pulled out of that moments fragrance catalog – a fragrance lottery if you will.Â And if it is created specifically for me and will smell better because of it. Prove it on your website or at least outline the rationale.
Additional Revenue Opportunities:
- Consider launching personalized shower gels, soaps etc
My Virtual Investment:
With my virtual $1M, IÂ wouldÂ bath in my very own citrus notesÂ a virtual $250KÂ andÂ pass it over.
Interested in other articles aboutÂ My DNA?
Andrew – Founder